Hawaii Licensure Requirements

Copyright 2023. Hawaii Dental Hygienists' Association. All rights reserved.    

Displaying Your Dental Hygiene License

Hawaii Law requires that the original or a copy of the Dental Hygiene license be prominently displayed in your workplace.

Starting with the January 2019 License renewal, DCCA/PVL will no longer send a printed licensure card with your renewal. To obtain your own free copy, go to MyPVL.com, login, download and print a copy for your records. 
​If you would like a printed copy, you may call or go down to the DCCA/PVL office and they will print one for a $10 fee.

To view the current Hawaii Administrative Rules, click here.

To view types of applications for dental hygiene licensure,
 click here. 

For important announcements regarding licensure, 
click here.​

Licensure Information

Hawaii is a member state of the Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS). At least once a year, CRDTS personnel administer a national dental hygiene exam in Hawaii. The applicant registers directly with CRDTS (www.crdts.org) to take the exam. Upon passing the exam, the applicant files an application for licensure and submits documentation of meeting the requirements, including passing the National Board dental hygiene exam.

In the state of Hawaii, dental hygiene licenses are regulated under the Board of Dentistry within the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA)Professional and Vocational Licensing Division (PVL). 

For information on licensureclick here.

Questions about licensure should be directed to:


     Sandra Matsushima, Executive Officer

     for the Board of Dental Examiners

     Address: DCCA-PVL

                     Att: Dental

                     P.O. Box 3469

                     Honolulu, Hawaii 96801

     Telephone: (808) 586-2702

     E-mail: dental@dcca.hawaii.gov 

     website: http://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/boards/dentist/ 

Block Local Anesthesia Information

Certification in the administration of intra-oral infiltration and block local anesthesia is prerequisite to apply for Hawaii dental hygiene licensure.

HDHA sponsors certification courses but applicants are not restricted to only taking a certification course in Hawaii. However, it is strongly recommended that a certification course not given in Hawaii be submitted to the regulatory agency, the Hawaii Board of Dental Examiners, for prior approval. Applicants are advised to have a clear understanding of the stringent and specific criteria regarding the number of hours, number of injections, and specific type of injections required by Hawaii law and rules. 

To download an application for certification in the administration of intra-oral block anesthesia, click here.